One question I get asked most often is “how can I get the best performance and efficiency from my Jeep?”
Well, being someone who hates to put up a lot of cash for anything that is unnecessary or a budget breaker, I came up with the least expensive add-ons, and tips for getting the best zip and sip from your Jeep possible.
Although the initial outlay on some of these items can be pricey, I believe that with them you’ll get the most bang for your buck.
1) Engines need to breathe freely to run at their best. Using a less restrictive air filter, or investing in a cold air intake system will give your engine the breath of fresh air it needs.
2) As important as air entering your engine is, the same is true for exhaust gases leaving your engine. A less restrictive muffler and tuned exhaust headers will reduce back pressure and increase engine efficiency, power and torque.
3) Keeping up simple maintenance is the single easiest and cheapest way to get the best from your Jeep’s performance. Fresh spark plugs, ignition wires, air filter, regular oil changes and lube jobs will do wonders for fuel efficiency as well.
4) Bigger tires mean more rolling resistance, which in turn means less overall performance. I know the prevailing hype is for big, tall tires (the bigger the better, right?)…but that is not always necessary…at least not for most Jeep owners. I would suggest using the tire size that best allows you to do what you want and need to do with your Jeep. Less tire = more efficiency from your motor.
5) Also, keep tires inflated properly for every road condition you encounter. If you air down for the trails, don’t forget to air up to specs when getting back on the pavement.
6) And finally…getting the most performance and efficiency from your Jeep comes from you the owner/driver. No vehicle is indestructible and although Jeeps are tough, they will break when abused. You are the ultimate determiner of how your Jeep runs and lasts…so treat it well and it will give you years of service, enjoyment and plain old fun!